Friday, October 28, 2011

Why Acceptance Works

"By accepting something, I am willing to go with the flow of life, knowing that I have a Higher Power orchestrating events and situations in such a way that the greatest good will be realized."
Why does acceptance work?  In other words, why does accepting someone or a circumstance out of my control actually improve the situation?  This is because, by accepting something, I am releasing control over it.  When I am in control of a situation, I am too close to it to make good decisions.  Accepting something or "turning something over to God" actuates my Higher Self.  My Higher Self operates in a different plane of existence and has access to unlimited resources that I am not aware of in my day to day existence.  By accepting something, I am willing to go with the flow of life, knowing that I have a Higher Power orchestrating events and situations in such a way that the greatest good will be realized.  I am demonstrating with my actions that the greatest barrier to my success in life is myself, my limiting beliefs and shortcomings.  If I will just lay "self" down, then I am able to tap into a very real power that will help me.
Another fantastic side-effect of acceptance, is that my thoughts begin to change about that which I was opposing.  My thoughts were originally negative: wanting the situation removed, focusing only on myself and feeling the associated bad feelings with being out of alignment with my circumstance.  If I accept, there is a subtle shift in my mood and outlook.  My energy is no longer focused on negative emotions nor is my thought addicted to controlling the situation.  That which I think about will come to pass.  If I am caught up in negative emotion and feel trapped, I will stay trapped and continue to feel badly.  Acceptance yields the benefit of me not having to come up with a solution and releases me from mental bondage to a difficult situation.  As my thoughts become lighter and freer, I will find that my situation will change.  This change will not be of my own doing.  Often times, the way "out" is very different from what I originally imagined.  Sometimes, it's me that has to change.
It's like a child who is too short to reach a counter where a toy sits. The child may struggle indefinitely trying to reach the toy. In reality, the child is just too short to reach. Maybe there is a bigger and better toy sitting right at the feet of the child and all that she has to do is look down to see it. 
In the same way, if I just accept a situation as it is, my myopic view will expand to see the infinite possibilities that exist in life. I will maybe see the reason for the obstacle, a way around it, or even a better alternative to that which I am struggling to obtain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment