Friday, November 18, 2011

Holding on to Future Projections

"Let your mental models go and bask in the light and freedom that comes with experiencing the eternal Presence."

As I progress on this path, I see that one thing that I tend to hold on to is mental models of the way things should be. I think we all do this in one way or another. Mental models are tricky, because they are hybrids of past and future clingings. We are scared of the future, so we construct elaborate models of the way things should be. These models may have been created years ago. They are a bridge between the present and the future. We want to know how to "get there" as if there was anywhere to "get" to.

I tend to miss these models as they seem to exist in the Now or present but do not. They are old mental projections that cloud my mind, keeping me from experiencing the present moment. The models are often times rooted in the ego so are very entrenched in our psyche. A lot of the times, the models are seemingly logical and harmless. It should also be noted that you do not come up with these; these are created on their own. Most of the time, you are unaware you have them.

For example, one model may be that any self-respecting person has a clean house. This is future projection, because another way of wording this is "if my house is ever dirty in the future, I do not respect myself." Cleanliness is great and there is a lot of truth in the model. The tie to the ego is my worth is then dependent on how clean my house is. The irony of this statement is that my earthly house is my mind. My house may be clean but I am cluttering my internal house with models such as these. These projections may give us comfort about the future, such as knowing our house will be clean and getting approval for that, yet they take us away from living our lives in the here and now.

How liberating it is to know we do not need these models anymore! Drop these mental constructs and see how lighter you feel knowing that You are loved unconditionally by the Universe just the way you are. Know that the future is an illusion. There is only Now. We are frightened by the future because we are clinging to this world. We are clinging to our appearances, possessions, relationships, and our body. This creates fear and we develop plans for how to hold on to these things. Let your mental models go and bask in the light and freedom that comes with experiencing the eternal Presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment